Thursday 28 May 2015

Lesvos Rarities

Petrified Forest ( Copyright T D Wright )
Last year I didn't worry about rare stuff as it was my first visit and all the common things were exciting enough. Apparently, finding something that's 'rare for there' is a must if you're one of the British birding 'elite'. So, I thought, this year I'll visit the Petrified Forest Park which is quite rare. Only 2 places in the world where one can see it they say, which makes the 2 Euros entrance fee ( about a quid and a half at current rates) excellent value.                                                                
Petrified Forest ( Copyright T D Wright )
It's also possible to see good birds there. It once had White-throated Robin apparently. All I saw was Spotfly. However, heading back up the access road toward the main Sigri-Mytilene road, I stopped to look at a Lesser Kestrel. I then noticed a larger falcon, which I expected to be a Peregrine. I soon realised that it wasn't, as it had warm brown mantle and scaps, contrasting with dark flight feathers. Its underwing-coverts also contrasted with the primaries and secondaries, being noticeably darker. It was very compact-looking too, broad-based wings and proportionally short-winged as well. Then I saw its creamy-brown pale head, and realised I had a genuine Lesvos Rarity- a SAKER Falcon!! I saw it again later at Sigri Sanatorium, where a couple more British birders saw it over the next 2 days. The one I got the name of was Tony Swann, who kindly emailed me a Lesvos rarity report form which I sent to Steve Dudley, so let's hope I filled it in correctly. Together, Tony and I saw a Yellow-legged Gull give an alarm call and take evasive action as the Saker flew across, its slowish wingbeats very unlike the Peregrine I saw the same day from Sigri 'bandstand'. I have to say its pale head also looked enormous, on a par with Gyrfalcon at least. I just wish I'd managed a photograph too; but I felt that it wasn't close enough so didn't try. For i.d. purposes though, even a terrible photo might have been worth submitting. I believe others did realise this and hope there will be a couple of supporting pics. as it's not easy to get things accepted without photos these days. Anyway, at least I know what I saw.                                                                                                                               
Demoiselle Crane ( Copyright T D Wright )
Demoiselle Crane ( Copyright T D Wright )
The other rarity I saw was this Demoiselle Crane, which I believe was found by Killian Mullarney. Not a self-found job this one, but a first for me and a major rarity, twitched by people who've been to Lesvos about a hundred times! It was in an inaccessible area West of the Christou river, so the shots are from some distance away. At least you can see what it is, eh? Happy Birding!

No comments:

Post a Comment