Wednesday 6 May 2015

Petra & Petri - the first days on Lesvos 2015

Molyvos ( Copyright TD Wright )
This is the view North from the Ruppell's site which was close to my Petra Hotel, the glorious Panorama. I spent the first 2 days birding locally as there's plenty to keep me interested around Petra. The Hotel gardens alone had Black-eared Wheatear and Jay, plus Corn Bunting and many Hirundines. Hooded Crows were abundant, as were Greenfinches and Goldies.                                      
Greenfinch ( Copyright TD Wright )

Goldfinch ( Copyright TD Wright )
BW Stilts ( Copyright TD Wright )
The nearby beach had Stilts and YL Gulls.                                                                                          
Yellow-legged Gulls ( Copyright TD Wright )

Yellow-legged Gull ( Copyright TD Wright )
Yellow-legged Gulls ( Copyright TD Wright )
Masked Shrike ( Copyright TD Wright )
The bushes held shrikes and warblers, including a Marsh Warbler. Telegraph poles were fruitful too...
Hooded Crow ( Copyright TD Wright )
Hooded Crow ( Copyright TD Wright )
Hooded Crow ( Copyright TD Wright )
Mount Lepetimnos ( Copyright TD Wright )
The highest point on the North of the island loomed distantly from the Hotel, at which I was on half-board, so I returned to enjoy the evening buffet which was excellent. The various 'Petri dishes' (fnarrr) were superb throughout my stay, so I was glad I took the half-board deal. My car would be delivered in the morning, so I retired to my comfortable room to dream of more ornithological delights.

No comments:

Post a Comment