Thursday 21 May 2015

Temminck's Stint(s)

Temminck's Stint(s) ( Copyright T D Wright )
How convenient! I had these Temminck's photos to post from my Lesvos trip anyway. Now, they're locally topical too. Why? Well, last night at 7pm I thought I'd give Tower Hide a go. As the tide came in a handful of waders flew past including Whimbrel, Dunlin and another largish wader I didn't get good enough views of. So, round to Island Hide I thought. The unidentified wader wasn't there, even though the Whimbrel and Dunlin were. How annoying. Even so, I started scanning around and saw something tiny on the edge of an island. Scope needed! As soon as I got it in the scope it looked exactly like the near breeding-plumage Temminck's which you can see in these pics. A quick set of texts went out, including one to Tim White as I hoped his long lens might get a picture of it as it was too far away for me. Plus I wanted him to see it of course (arf-arf!). First to arrive was Phil, even though I'd texted Ian Mclean first. Apparently IM was in the bath! Oh No! Fortunately, it was all alright as Ian saw it and Tim got a 'record shot' of it. It was, by now, gone 9pm so people were struggling to see the bird in the dark. I hope it stays, but they can often be unco-operative here. Still, for me, it's another very pleasing find. As far as I know, the last one here was in 2007, although there may have been one in 2011 as I don't have the records for that year.If that's the case, then we average 25% of a Temminck's per annum. Anyway, Spring's not done with us yet...                                                                                                                  
Temminck's Stint(s) ( Copyright T D Wright )
Temminck's Stint(s) ( Copyright T D Wright )
Temminck's Stint(s) ( Copyright T D Wright )

No comments:

Post a Comment