Tuesday 2 June 2015

What's happening on Patch?

Mallard with ducklings ( Copyright T D Wright )
I followed this mother and chicks along the track and walkway to Island Hide. She obviously didn't know that was where I was headed. We then played peek-a-boo from either side of the screen before she decided to leave. I grabbed this shot with my mobile. And that's how it is just now . All the birds are nesting or looking after their creches. We've not had many waders on BHM but lots of ducklings and goslings. Other species of animal are also tending their young...                                                     
Roe Deer ( Copyright T D Wright )
Roe Deer ( Copyright T D Wright )
A Roe hind nuzzling its fawn. Shame I had to phonescope it because it's too far away for my puny DSLR but it's still not bad, eh? Also on patch is Lower Bruckland Ponds where recently the proprietor had this installed...                                                                                                                    
Megaphone on Post ( Copyright T D Wright )
As you cross the bridge to use the Public Footpath which traverses the site it barks out "You are now on private property! Please keep to the footpath!" Then it blows a raspberry at you. I'm just warning you in case you're of a nervous disposition. It sometimes gets an interesting bird or two but the main attraction at the moment is insect life. Beautiful Demoiselle and Common Blue damselfly( I think ) were present recently. Also Skimmers apparently but I didn't see those. I tend not to stay too long as I don't want to 'pay to stray' from the footpath. Anyhow, I'll just post a couple more phonescoped pics. as I've got my mobile connected to the computer...                                                                      
Reed Bunting ( Copyright T D Wright )
Reed Bunting ( Copyright T D Wright )
Little Ringed Plover ( Copyright T D Wright )

LRP ( Copyright T D Wright )
LRP ( Copyright T D Wright )
Nice reflective shot in middle, what?! Not bad for phonescoping, eh? Anyway, the only bird of note on patch that I can tell you about was a female/immature Marsh Harrier which was seen by several people on Sunday. I missed it because I'd gone home, feeling pessimistic. Never do that! Next post will be DSLR quality again. The LRP in these pictures is long gone by the way. I save up the phone pics unless there's a reason to post them sooner. C U Next post.

1 comment:

  1. The footpath is straight across. Any deviation from this or going around any lake is trespassing. An annual pass is only £15 and it is very much worth it!! :) there are quite a few dragonflies there at the moment. I had over the weekend Scarce Chaser, Gold Ringed, Four Spotted Chaser, Black Tailed Skimmer and Emperor.

    ReplyDelete