Wednesday 10 June 2015

Nesting Penduline Tits!!

Tsiknias ('East'!) River ( Copyright T D Wright )
Penduline Tit in Nest ( Copyright T D Wright )
Yes, well done those of you who got it! I was told by other birders that they were nesting along the Tsiknias river ( the East river to all you British birders who don't like talking in 'foreign' ! ), so had to pay them a visit. I mean, after we had them wintering in Devon and loads of pictures appeared on the 'Net' ( including mine when they visited the AEW. Did you like them? ) it was almost a case of not worrying about these ones. But how many of us got to see them nest-building? None so far as I know...an opportunity not to be missed then...                                                                               
Penduline Tit in Nest ( Copyright T D Wright )
Penduline Tit in Nest ( Copyright T D Wright )
Penduline Tit working on Nest ( Copyright T D Wright )
Penduline Tit at Nest ( Copyright T D Wright )
Penduline Tit at Nest ( Copyright T D Wright )
Of course the Devon ones allowed a closer approach than these. But you wouldn't have wanted me to disturb them, would you? I stayed on the other side of the river and made do. At times, the birds would cross the river and show quite well as they foraged anyhow. The Tsiknias river is also an excellent place to be birding generally, so you ought to go there even without nesting Pendulines...      
Marsh or Reed Warbler? ( Copyright T D Wright )
Marsh Warbler? ( Copyright T D Wright )
Marsh Warbler ? ( Copyright T D Wright )
I think the yellow tarsi on this bird are diagnostic. At least, that's what a ringer at Filey Brigg once told me when showing me one they'd trapped. Its bill is not too long and its pronounced crown lacking the darker tones of Reed Warbler is helpful, but not reliable. I didn't manage to photograph its primaries which is a shame. But I think that yellow feet and yellow legs = Marsh Warbler. Sometimes I see Reed Warblers at the AEW which have yellow feet but pink legs, and often they have no yellow at all. They also have dark claws. So, if my information is correct then I saw 3 Marsh Warblers on Lesvos this Spring. Next post will feature pics. of a different bird - the Faneromeni 'earliest ever' bird! Comments welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment