Thursday 5 February 2015

REVIEWING 2014 - The Storm of Gulls

Well, the birding here is quiet at the moment. We've got Divers off Branscombe ( 3 species ), Auks off Beer ( 2 Species ), and Scoters off Seaton ( 1 species ). I got my car back at last and checked the estuary. 8 Shovelers and the overwintering Barwit were the highlights but nothing interesting among the gulls. What a contrast to this time last year, when storm after storm brought gulls galore to the estuary. It all kicked off on this date (5th) when SW had the first Little Gull by Coronation corner. Over the next week we had them on the estuary and off the seafront daily, along with Kittiwakes and Meds. I was shocked to see a Razorbill on the estuary, as I've not seen this in many years! Here are some mobile phone shots of the devastation.    
Storm-driven Dogfish, Feb 2014 ( Copyright T D Wright )

Axmouth Harbour, Feb 2014 ( Copyright T D Wright )
The waves were actually crashing over the shingle bar then pounding this harbour wall, ripping the coping off as you can see. Various debris was strewn along the track...                      
Axmouth Harbour, Feb 2014 ( Copyright T D Wright )

Axmouth Harbour Feb 2014 ( Copyright T D Wright )
Axmouth Harbour , Feb 2014 ( Copyright T D Wright )

Axmouth Harbour, Feb 2014 ( Copyright T D Wright )
Then, on Sunday 9th, I got a nice surprise when I stopped at Coronation corner and found a stonking adult Glaucous Gull with clean head among the Herrings! I texted it to all the locals but I should have phonescoped it instead, as only one- Ian McLean- got to see it, and that was as it flew off. I thought it looked quite like the one which had been wintering at West Bexington, although with so many 'whitewingers' about who's to say it wasn't a different bird? Anyhow, here is a phonescoped video clip of the Dorset bird. I hope it works as I've not posted one before. I've also tried to post video of the Kumlien's Gull - another adult bird - which SW found on Tuesday 11th. Two stonking gulls in 3 days- it couldn't continue, could it? Well actually, yes it did! On Thursday 13th I found a First Winter Glaucous Gull near the Tramsheds! Bun was nearby at Tesco's and saw it with me after I texted it out. I think Gavin Haig tried a photo but sadly he's not blogging any more so I can't direct you to it. But what an amazing 5 days on the Axe. I'll never forget Feb 2014, it was a terrible time for a lot of people but I couldn't help loving the storm-driven birding.                                     

No comments:

Post a Comment