Tuesday 17 February 2015

Local Birding Feb 13 - 16th


Well, the Greylags stuck around until Sunday when I saw them flying North toward Musbury at 3pm. One bird still remains with the Canadas on Coly Common for some unknown reason- perhaps it's got wing damage? The Estuary still has the overwintering Barwit with at least 100 Blackwits, plus several Med Gulls have been lurking among the myriad BH Gulls.Seaton Marshes on Friday 13th was not unlucky as I had a Stonechat right by the Car park. Car park birding can also produce Redpoll in the Axe Valley and I had one briefly on Sunday at Seaton Cemetery(BHM) car park. It's been such a poor winter for Redpolls and Siskins that this was a nice surprise. However, the numbers of Linnets and 'Green' linnets ( i.e. Greenfinches! ) has built up recently, and there are lots of Reed Buntings about.           

Primroses ( Copyright T D Wright )
It seems strange that Primroses derive their name from Latin Prima Rosa ( First Flower ) when there are so many species flowering before them nowadays! Even a non-botanist like me can notice Snowdrops, Daffs etc. in January but it was fascinating to read Karen Woolley's blog about species flowering on New Year's Day. Apparently, the total keeps getting bigger in the Lyme Bay area. But I still see Primroses as harbingers of Spring. Does that make me a Dinosaur? Well if it does , I'm living on the Jurassic Coast so I'm in the right place.      
Here's a video clip of the Black Redstart I already posted pics of at Beer. Apparently we still have 2 of these plus a Firecrest at Seaton Hole. I last saw Firecrest there back in November so we may have a new one.
Here's some Beer Rock Pipit too while I'm at it.

No comments:

Post a Comment