Thursday 7 May 2015

Lesvos 2015:The car Arrives

Pied Flycatcher ( Copyright TD Wright )
Mobile Hide 2015 ( Copyright TD Wright )
This year's mobile hide was a Kia Picanto. Very reasonable and light on fuel, which is important when you're alone. The small boot could take my scope just about and there was ample room inside the car. I wouldn't mind having a jeep or other 4-wheel drive/off-road vehicle there but it's possible to see the birds without driving miles along terrible tracks. A walk here and there can be fruitful at times and I lost 3 kilos in weight during my fortnight. I ate well too so it must be true what the W.H.O. says about the Greek diet being healthy. My half-board deal was well exploited morning and evening but during the day I might visit a Taverna for a cuppa or some ice-cream. Sigri has an excellent waterside establishment which didn't charge excessively. As for Skala Kallonis, you need to know where to go...                                                                                                                  
This is the lady who runs the Akti Cafe in Skala Kallonis. She welcomes English-speakers and will even serve a full cooked breakfast for just 6 and a half Euros, including toast & preserves and a giant mug of Lipton's tea. Her ice cream is also superb. Sorry if that seems like an ad but she was so friendly I had to put in a good word. Last year I ate here almost every day, so had to pop back when in the area. SK pool had Bittern, Little Bittern and Glossy Ibis on it as well!                                            
Apothika Area ( Copyright TD Wright )


Caterpillar ( Copyright TD Wright )
Anybody know which species this caterpillar is?

No comments:

Post a Comment