Tuesday 5 May 2015

Apologies for Absence

Meadow Pipit ( Copyright T D Wright )
Meadow Pipit ( Copyright T D Wright )
This Mipit seemed to prefer a dense thicket by BHM to its usual habitat before I went away. Where did I go for the last 2 weeks? Well, this was the view from my balcony...                                          
Panoramic View ( Copyright T D Wright )
Yes, I went back to Lesvos. It was rather last-minute, as I thought I would go somewhere else this Spring. But Thomas Cook were offering some good deals and I snapped one up. Excellent value, even though I wasn't in Skala Kallonis where most birders stay. Having a car, it doesn't matter as you need to explore the West of the island wherever you stay, and being in the North I was also able to seawatch off Efthalou, which gave me excellent views of Scopoli's and Yelkouan Shearwaters,plus nice close Audouin's Gulls. I even had pratincoles on one seawatch. The weather wasn't so hot during Week One, strong winds and a bit of rain. Superb for seawatching! There was also a fall of flycatchers and warblers which enabled me to see species I missed last year.                                                                               
Pied Flycatcher ( Copyright T D Wright )
This fine-looking PF seemed to regard the little culvert at Faneromeni as his territory. There was another black-and-white flycatcher further down but he wouldn't let it get any nearer. This video shows him wing-flicking i.e. waving his fists at his rival. This prompted me to get the scope and take a closer look at the 'challenger'...                                                                                                                                                
Collared Flycatcher ( Copyright T D Wright )
            Ooooh Yeeeaaahh! My first ever Collared Flycatcher. I even missed the Portland one five years ago because I had to work so this was a case of 'At last I've seen one!' I failed to see this bird on Lesvos last year which rankled a bit ( No, a lot ) so this was a magic moment. As it turned out, I ended up seeing lots of them this time round which made me wonder why they were so elusive in 2014. Hope these phonescoped pics are OK but I've got some DSLR shots which are slightly better. I'll post those soon.                                            

No comments:

Post a Comment