Tuesday 28 July 2015

Winter Sun LBBGs !

I just got an email back from Guernsey Gulls ( Paul Veron et al ) about a presumed adult Lesser Black-backed Gull BOAS4 whose ring I read on the estuary from Tower Hide on 15th, 16th & 17th July 2015. Apparently it was ringed as a pullus at Burhou, Alderney in the Channel Islands on 14/07/2012. It was not seen again until 26th January this year- when the G.G. crew spotted it on the Rabat River in Morocco! A distance of 1786km from where it was ringed . Just six months on and it's here in Devon - 1879km North of its 'Winter Sun' destination. I'm afraid I didn't photograph it as I didn't realise how interesting it was until now. But I had to tell you about it as it's great when you get a good one, isn't it? I've had LBBGs here before which had wintered in Iberia but this one is my first Moroccan. Excellent stuff!

No comments:

Post a Comment