Tuesday 24 March 2015

Quiet Weekend

Short-eared Owl ( Copyright T D Wright )
Ok well we often get a flurry of migrants then a lull at this time of year, so given the unhelpful weather and Northerly winds it's not surprising that all I can think of to mention since the LRPs departed is a Black Redstart at Seaton Hole on Saturday and a First-winter to First -summer Med Gull from Tower Hide. Of course, I've seen some other wildlife- a Badger surprised me during lunchtime briefly today! Also, I've had a single Little Owl close to home which is nice. I'm not sure if the Short-eared Owl has left us now-there have been reports of them moving through migration watchpoints-but it was still present up to the 17th at least, so here's another couple of pics I didn't post before...
Short-eared Owl ( Copyright T D Wright )
Kingfisher ( Copyright T D Wright )
I've been saving this Kingfisher picture for just such a lull in proceedings. I've not posted one on the blog before and they're such a characteristic bird of the Axe & Coly that it's time I did. Another feature of my recent 'Patch' birding has been looking through the estuary gulls and wondering...    
Herring Gulls ( Copyright T D Wright )
Herring Gulls ( Copyright T D Wright )
Herring Gull ( Copyright T D Wright )
I think this is just a sub-adult argenteus Herring Gull. But when I look at pictures of proposed smithsonianus birds on the internet, I can't help thinking we ought to get one. This bird was paler grey than the accompanying gulls I first saw it with and had one helluva 'black eye' (technical terms!) and extensive hood. It also had some markings on the tertials but I think that's just because it's not quite matured yet. Its bill was longish and had a fairly slender base or shaft. A striking bird, but I suppose it's probably a 'local' going through its transitional period which is what made it stand out to me. One of these days I'll find a 'biggie' that's not an obvious 'white-winger', you mark my words!

No comments:

Post a Comment