Tuesday 24 March 2015

Funny Gulls Contd.

Herring Gulls ( Copyright T D Wright )
Well, once you start 'stringing' it's hard to stop, so here are some more shots of gulls which have perplexed me a little this winter. The above shot is of the same gull I showed you on the last post. Below, I've added a possible argentatus which I didn't get flight views of so gave up on. It was considerably darker than the other Herrings,remaining so as it rotated 360 degrees whilst on the water. It seemed to have a lot of white at its wingtips but all the gulls were flushed and I lost it as I took my eye away from the scope, so that was the end of that! I just thought I'd post these pics in case they're of interest to any gull fanatics...                                                                          
Herring Gulls ( Copyright T D Wright )
Herring Gulls ( Copyright T D Wright )
Herring Gulls ( Copyright T D Wright )

1 comment:

  1. Hi Tim. Due to its size (or lack of) I'd suggest LBBGxHerring for your darker mantled gull. They seem to be getting commoner everywhere, presumably due to more LBBG coming into towns to breed. As for your paler gull, it worries me alot! Overall build and size, bill, head and those black tertial marks all seem good for smiths - although doubt it can be proved. Would loved to have seen it.

    ReplyDelete