Tuesday 6 January 2015

The First Snow of 2015

Which turns out to be a Goose! This 'Blue' individual was found by Phil Abbot(well, he 'jammed in' on it as we used to say in days of yore), so full marks for realising it wasn't a farmyard greylag and re-identifying it. This species has always had a certain mystique for me ever since I first read Paul Gallico's WW2 story which featured it. Unfortunately, most people assume they're all escaped these days or part of a free-flying Feral population and therefore 'plastic' (another expression from the 'good old days'). I grabbed a couple of record shots from the A3052 gateway.  
'Blue' Snow Goose (Copyright TD Wright)
'Blue' Snow Goose(Copyright T D Wright)
'Blue' Snow Goose (Copyright T D Wright)
The bird had a clear stripe down its nape which I'm not sure it's supposed to have.Is this a 'pure' specimen or not, I wonder?
'Blue' Snow Goose (Copyright T D Wright)

No comments:

Post a Comment