Wednesday 14 January 2015

Reviewing 2014 Lesvos Contd.

Blue Rock Thrush (Copyright T D Wright )
Ok it would've been nicer to get closer but the terrain prohibited as I was standing at the edge of a deep gorge in the Lardia valley. What I loved about this is that I was heading out west to Sigri and just decided to pull over and have a look around as this spot looked promising in terms of habitat. By walking no more than 20m from my car I was able to enjoy Crag Martins, Rock Sparrow and this beauty, plus Masked Shrike lower down. Superb!  
Bee-eater (Copyright T D Wright )
When I arrived at Sigri I was amazed by the number of Bee-eaters in the area. I also had a Roller, many flycatchers and several Shrikes.  
Bee-eaters (Copyright T D Wright )
Hoopoe ( Copyright T D Wright )
This Hoopoe caused me to brake sharply and reach for the camera. Fortunately the roads in the West of the island were quiet enough to do this!   
Hoopoe ( Copyright T D Wright )
Hoopoe ( Copyright T D Wright )

Hoopoe ( Copyright T D Wright )
Spotted Flycatcher ( Copyright T D Wright )
The huge number of Spotflies was staggering. A large chunk of the global population must have been on Lesvos at this time.   
Spotted Flycatcher ( Copyright T D Wright )
Spotted Flycatcher ( Copyright T D Wright )
Spotted Flycatcher ( Copyright T D Wright )
Short-toed Eagle ( Copyright T D Wright )
Birds of prey were a feature of the area. My marvelling at Eleonora's Falcons(both dark and light morphs), Lesser Kestrels , Red-footed Falcons, Long-legged Buzzards and Short-toed Eagles through bins was not to be ruined by a failed attempt to photograph them! I tried this shot which is not great and decided to just enjoy the birds in 'real' time. Fortunately, the large arrival of Black-headed Buntings perched and sang nicely. More on next post...     
Black-headed Bunting ( Copyright T D Wright )  

No comments:

Post a Comment