Tuesday 6 January 2015

Colyton Christmas Cracker!

Well after a quiet December I took a stroll around Colyton on 30th not expecting anything more than Redwing or Grey wagtail on the river.Imagine my surprise when just before dusk I had a phyllosc fly into Sidmouth road Cemetery. Chiffchaff would be the most likely in Colyton but as I got my bins on it I saw a stonking super and 2 bright wing-bars! Then it called -swee-e-eet-and I knew I had a Yellow-browed Warbler. I suppose I shouldn't be too surprised; it's been an excellent Autumn and Winter for this species. However, finding anything scarce right here in Colyton is always a thrill. I'm just disappointed that no other birders were able to get here before dark to see it. I also wish I'd had my camera on my back as pics would've been nice but I was birding au naturel i.e. bins only. As I say, this was unexpected! (Even though I heard one calling nearby in October near Colyton Church.) Still, I did photograph the one at Bruckland ponds in October so here's pics of that.  
YB Warbler (Copyright T D Wright)
YB Warbler(Copyright T D Wright)
YB Warbler(Copyright T D Wright)
YB Warbler (Copyright T D Wright)
YB Warbler (Copyright T D Wright)
YB Warbler(Copyright T D Wright)

No comments:

Post a Comment