Tuesday 26 April 2016

Recent Sightings ( and Heards )

Tufted Duck, Seaton Marshes, 24/04/16 ( Copyright T D Wright )
Tufted Duck, Seaton Marshes, 24/04/16 ( Copyright T D Wright )
This Tufted Drake was a welcome sighting as we've not had many recently, even though the Devon Birds Atlas shows that they have increased their range in the County. Having grabbed these shots, I quickly fired off text messages to all the local birders so I suppose I should claim this as a self-find, given that text messages are now considered to be the ultimate proof of everything! I won't do that, however, as Peter Mason told me it was there when I spotted him at Stafford Marsh.
Anyhow, the birding hasn't been bad lately with increases in wader & chat numbers. I was especially pleased to find a Whinchat on Saturday 23rd at Cownhayne along the track which leads towards the Axe, as I don't think anybody goes there very often. This area has been quite productive for migrants this Spring, hirundines have lingered in numbers and I even had the Montagu's here after everyone thought it had gone. The field of muck by Colyton Water Treatment Works has also been used by alba wagtails and on Saturday held a male Wheatear. Possibly the most unusual bird I've had lately was a phyllosc by Seaton Cemetery though. I didn't see it particularly well, but its song was rather extraordinary. It had the structure of 'triplets', repeated in a rhythmic and repetitive fashion. A bit like the Quails I used to listen to when I lived in Herefordshire - "Quit-ker-hit,quit-ker-hit..."- except it was a warbler! I'm told that Siberian Chiffs sing like this - rather than 'chiff-chaff ' they add an extra beat or note to the bar - "Chiff-cha-chaff, chiff-cha-chaff...". We've certainly had more than one tristis over the winter, with AERG trapping & ringing one as well. I tried to record it with my mobile but it didn't come out too well, other louder bird calls drowning it out. I've been back a couple of times but no further hearings. Please let me know if you come across it. Happy Birding...

2 comments:

  1. Hi Tim. I've heard and seen that Chiffy a few times, it's just a collybita. They often include extra notes, I suspect they are younger birds. Wait till you hear a Willow Warbler that goes 'chiffchaff', had one in the same place as this one about ten year ago...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually I've managed to find my blog post of the Wiff Waff. Have had a few since...

    http://stevesbirdingblog.blogspot.co.uk/2010/04/identity-crisis.html

    ReplyDelete