Monday 11 April 2016

Raptors on Patch

Blackbird, Seaton, April '16 ( Copyright T D Wright )
Osprey, Axe Estuary, April '15 ( Copyright T D Wright )
Well, the wind and the rain were not pleasant yesterday so I spent some time in hides. From the Tower I had my first Whimbrel of the year then noticed a Marsh Harrier up by the A3052 bridge. I think it was a new one as it looked a bit different to last week's bird, having much more obvious pale patches on the underwing and a more contrasting upperwing with the coverts more pale brown than the flight feathers. A Peregrine mobbed it which provided a nice size comparison, suggesting this was a male MH as it was quite small. On my way round to have a closer look at it from Coly Common I stopped by the Field Centre and helped the people there to spot it. As we were looking at it together, local man Peter Mason said "What's this other bird then?" I looked across to where he was looking and was delighted to see that his bird was an Osprey! Another first-of-the-Spring brought about by the shift in wind direction to the East; this was turning into a terrific afternoon session. Before I could text the other local birders I received a text from I Mc, who'd got it from the Tower that I'd vacated. It headed up towards Cownhayne area last we saw it, and a couple of House Martins amongst the Swallows added to the flow of migrants. I got a soaking cycling home but it was well worth it. I've used an old Osprey photograph above for those people who just like to look at the pictures. You know who you are...

No comments:

Post a Comment