Monday 9 January 2017

Colyton News & Views

Cattle Egret, Colyton,08/01/17 (Copyright T D Wright)
Cattle Egret, Colyton, 08/01/17 (Copyright T D Wright)
I have to say that I'm revisiting the Cattle Egret at Colcombe Farm at least twice a week (still present on Sunday 8th) partly because I'm expecting it to be joined by one or two more at some point. Four together at Exminster today and recently the record count for Guernsey was broken 3 times in as many days - the last estimate I heard was an incredible 15 there! What with 18 on the Gannel in Cornwall too 2017 will surely be the year that Cattle Egret breeds in the South West of England. (I've probably just jinxed it!). Otherwise the main point of interest on the Coly is the continued presence of Dippers near the White Hart pub one of which I saw on Sunday from the gate over the road from the pub. (I don't use the pub as I'm virtually Teetotal Tim these days. My total number of alcohol units for 2016 was less than 10. Not even one a month! But I did enjoy a single pint of celebratory ale with KH after the Dusky Thrush. It was Xmas and one unit of alcohol for the whole of December is not much compared to most people!). Anyway, here's a few seconds of phonescoped video I took about 200m upstream from there. Plus some Egret footage. You'll notice that Cattles have yellow bills and black feet whereas the reverse is true of Littles. At long range and in bad light the shortness of a Cattle bill has also been helpful when the colour is not apparent. Its overall compactness too especially its shorter and thicker neck have been helpful at long range. I got closer to take these pictures by cycling and walking along the farmer's track but please don't take cars along there. It's possible to view the bird from Rosemary Lane with a scope at times or from the bench along the Shute/Honiton road.

No comments:

Post a Comment