Monday 21 November 2016

Desert Wheatear

Desert Wheatear, Nanjizal,Cornwall, Nov.2011(Copyright T D Wright)
I'm aware that there is currently a Desert Wheatear in Devon but I can't get the enthusiasm up to go and see it. Here's why. I saw my first UK DW in 1989 at Selsey Bill on a day out from Croydon in my first car which I'd recently purchased, having passed my driving test that year. Great day out as there was a Glaucous Gull there as well. This is the only DW I've ever 'twitched', yet I've seen several others since by chance. I was in Lincolnshire once when there happened to be one at Saltfleetby which was nice. Then, in 2011, I spent a few days in Cornwall and saw this cracking male at Nanjizal (pronounced Nan-jizz-al apparently) before returning to Dungeness where I was 'hanging out' at the time. My first morning back at Dunge, guess what? Yes, that's right. Another DW! This wasn't a male though so I told the Assistant Warden he'd have to do better. Only kidding though - it was very confiding and great to see yet another. Oh, maybe I'll give the Thurlestone one a visit if it stays long enough. I'm just 'playing it cool' again!                     
Desert Wheatear, Dungeness, Nov. 2011(Copyright T D Wright)

No comments:

Post a Comment