Tuesday 11 August 2015

Local Insect Sightings 7th & 10th August 2015

Meadow Brown female, Seaton Wetlands, 10/08/2015 ( Copyright T D Wright )
Meadow Brown female with Flash! Oops! ( Copyright T D Wright )
So, why was my flash on? Well, I used it to photograph a moth in Colyton t'other night...                   
Old Lady, Colyton, 07/08/2015 ( Copyright T D Wright )
This was the first Old Lady I've seen here. I checked it later and it pointed its abdomen up, revealing an orangey tip from which I presume it was releasing feromones. I noticed it had been joined by another later on and had got lucky, so we should be glad that our thinly spread population might be added to. Photos not great, but an interesting sighting for me as I'm not a moth-er, I just try to identify what I stumble across. I saw a couple of Emperor dragonflies at Stafford Marsh and there were still lots of Blue-tailed Damselflies. Also other blues which I think may have been Azure but not sure. Birds on next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment