Friday 9 September 2016

Early Birding 09/09/16

To those of you who received text messages from me this morning - no, your phones were not 'on the blink'! I was out birding at 7:30 and didn't see much at BHM so visited Seaton Marshes at 8a.m. where three Wheatears graced the track to the hide. The Shoveler was still on Borrow Pit and at least 8 Barwits were still on the estuary. Bird of the morning though was an eclipse drake WIGEON  in the channel in front of the hide, my first of the Autumn. There were 2 in fact as later I cycled up the road to Coronation Corner and saw another. Before people doubt my 2-bird theory please note that I could still see Bird One from the road simultaneously, plus it's at a slightly more advanced stage of its eclipse moult than the CoriCorner one. Phew! Anyhow, onshore winds proved ineffective from Spot On even though they were South South-Westerly (not strong enough!), although a Peregrine being mobbed by gulls provided a bit of entertainment. I'll give BHM another go on the way back home for lunch I think...

No comments:

Post a Comment