Wednesday 15 March 2017

Spring Begins

Short-eared Owl, Seaton Marshes 11/03/17 (Copyright T D Wright)
Grey Plover, Black Hole Marsh 11/03/17 (Copyright T D Wright)
Avocet, Black Hole Marsh 11/03/17 (Copyright T D Wright)
On a foggy Friday (10th) I was disappointed to see little at Seaton Marshes. Still 2 Shoveler on North Flood but no signs of Spring except more Chiffchaffs about. After I left, I then got a text saying "4 Sand Martins at Seaton Marshes" from KH! Typical...but Saturday was better. IMc sent me messages that SEO & Avocet were about. I picked up both of these plus the long-staying Grey Plover but nothing of my own sadly. On Sunday I decided to give Bruckland Ponds a look and was rewarded with 8 Sand Martin, my first of the year. Cycling home, I stopped at Rosemary Lane and could see at least 3 Cattle Egret still at Colcombe. Yesterday ( Tues. 14th) I bumped into CW and we noted the Avocet & Grey Plover still present from Tower hide plus a stunning breeding-plumaged Mediterranean Gull . Coly Common hide produced some distant Sand Martins but not much else. Hopefully more migrants to talk about on next update...today, I had a scan of the sea off Spot On and just had 6 distant Razorbill diving and surfacing.

No comments:

Post a Comment