Monday 12 October 2015

Glossies Return

Glossy Ibis, Colyford Common, 11/10/15 ( Copyright T D Wright )
Glossy Ibis, Colyford Common, 11/10/15 ( Copyright T D Wright )
Having heard that 2 Glossies had flown from Weymouth via Abbotsbury to head up the Axe at midday on Saturday, I thought to myself 'Next stop Somerset' for them, especially when PA told me he'd looked everywhere and couldn't find them. So, I went to BHM on Sunday thinking I'd start at Tower and visit all the hides and see what there was. On the estuary was a fine 2ndWinter Med. Gull plus a dozen Dunlin. Lots of Redshank, Lapwing & Blackwit on BHM were complemented by Oystercatchers and a multitude of Curlews on the estuary. Before I got to the F.S.B. though, a text from Phil told me to give it a miss as he'd just seen the Glossies fly in from Coly Common hide. What an unexpected turn of events. I marched on to join him and was stunned to see them on the 'Bittern' pool, right in front of the hide! They showed well enough for phonescoped pics., but you'll get better ones on Tim White's blog ( or on my blog-post for 30th June of Lesviot birds ). They moved to BHM at dusk. Let's hope they're stayers,eh?

No comments:

Post a Comment