Thursday 21 April 2016

Chatting with the Locals

Whinchat, Seaton Marshes, 20/04/16 ( Copyright T D Wright )
Whinchat, Seaton Marshes, 20/04/16 ( Copyright T D Wright )
Nice one Bun! I walked all the way from Colyton via Cownhayne, Coly Common and Black Hole yesterday ( the bike needs repairs ) but the best new birds were all at Seaton Marshes. The cluster of Wheatears had moved to a distant fence visible from Merchants lane so I saw those but no pics. This stunning male Whinchat was just about snappable but here's what they show like on holiday...
Whinchat, Lesvos, April 2015 ( Copyright T D Wright )
Whinchat, Lesvos, April 2015 ( Copyright T D Wright )
Great to see wherever you are. As are Redstarts. I got a call from Phil that a female Redstart had been seen from SM Hide. I couldn't see that but found a second one, an immature male! Tim White and Clive + missus were about so I beckoned them as, although they were now on the female, it was very distant. It was now getting dark and my own attempts to photograph it were not too successful...      
Common Redstart ( honest! ), Seaton Marshes, 20/04/16 ( Copyright TDW )
I didn't have my scope either ( no bike, see ) and started to worry that it might be a female with some orangey-red on the breast. Fortunately, in TW's photographs it's clear that the bird is a 1st-Summer male as it has the crown-markings albeit faintly plus it has a paleish wing-panel reminiscent of samamisicus or BlackRed but acceptable for an immature male Common I think. So I called correctly in the first place! Anyhow, it's not very often that anyone can see Wheatear, Whinchat & Redstart at SM at the same time. But we did it last night . A team effort from the locals plus one 'Upcountry Intruder' ( = Yours Truly! ). I wonder how long one needs to live here before becoming a Local?

No comments:

Post a Comment