Wednesday 18 November 2015

Portugulling 2015 - Audouin's

Portugal was excellent for gull-watching. They don't get Herring Gulls which means I enjoy them more now I'm home. ( Globally, our argenteus HGs are not that common in fact. We're lucky to have them! ) What they do get is lots of YL,plus LBBG & GBBG in reasonable numbers at certain coastal sites. ( I'm just dealing with large gulls here ). This means that Audouin's's pale grey upperparts make it easy to pick up in the field. At least, where there are some... Quinta do Lago was where I got lucky ( gulling brings a whole new meaning to 50 shades of grey! ) as I stumbled upon 4 birds among the masses of their other large brethren. No first-winters though, a shame as I wanted to see one ( no I'm not a gull fanatic. Really, I'm not.) However, a cracking 2nd Winter accompanied one of the three adult birds. My phonescoped pics are no better than these video clips so I won't post them. I hope they're of some interest to people. Smaller gulls to come...

No comments:

Post a Comment