Tuesday 23 December 2014

Phonescoping Skuas

Skuas are even more difficult to phonescope than gulls.Mostly out at sea and very mobile,they are nigh on impossible to follow with a handheld phone and scope together. However, once in a while an individual bird can be very obliging. This happened to me in 2011 whilst staying at Dungeness Bird Observatory in Kent. Amazingly, a Long-tailed Skua flew along the shoreline and landed on the shingle for a clearly much-needed rest!    
Copyright T.D. Wright!

Copyright T.D. Wright
Thrilled by my good fortune, I celebrated that night with a Steak and ale pie here..
Contort yourself!
The next day, I was surprised to find it again by the fishing boats..  
LT Skua (Copyright TD Wright)

LT Skua (Copyright TD Wright)
It was hovering over discarded fish heads and picking morsels of food even though it was on land.  
What a magnificent Power Station

LT Skua food (Copyright TD Wright)
It then flew out onto the sea and I thought that was that.To my astonishment, it came back ashore and even flew towards me, clearly unafraid of humans. I got an even closer pic..    
LT Skua (Copyright TD Wright)
And another.. 
LT Skua (Copyright TD Wright)

So there you have it. The only skua I've ever phonescoped and it's a Long-tailed! But that's birding-you still don't know for sure what you might find even with a lifetime's experience. I refer to these memories at this time of year when the Axe Estuary offers little excitement. Merry Xmas !
Buff-breasted Sandpiper(Copyright TD Wright)

LT Skua (Copyright TD Wright)


The right way up!(Copyright TD Wright)
Dunge by Night(Copyright TD Wright)

Dunge at Dusk(Copyright TD Wright)

No comments:

Post a Comment