Monday 13 August 2018

Inundated

"We've got water on Colyford Common LNR again." This is what's known as a classic case of British understatement. By the time I bailed out from the hide last night the boardwalk back to Pope's Lane was in danger of being overtopped. It probably was after I'd gone. Many birds were now behind the hide on rarely-flooded parts of the reserve. Blackwits, Curlews, Little Egrets, BH Gulls, 3 Green sandpipers, 2 Greenshanks, Teal x20, 3 Whimbrels in front of the hide and many Herons & Corvids cashing in on the feeding opportunity. Snipe flying and calling.Remarkable scenes.
    Earlier on, I'd been watching a Southern Hawker at Stafford Marsh when Phil Abbot messaged me from Tower Hide so I joined him to see the Sanderling he'd picked out from the large mixed flock of Dunlin & Ringed Plover on the estuary. We had a couple of Greenshank which flew to Coly Common but couldn't see much on BHM other than the usual. I had a Sparrowhawk fly across the cycle path plus a Barn Owl that looked at me then turned away before I could get my camera out.
    I missed Ian Mac's Curlew Sandpiper on Saturday but let's be optimistic and expect more of those. IM also had a Bonxie (Great Skua) from Seaton which is no mean feat. I think that brings us up to date unless you fancy giving Beer Head a go as it's done OK for migrants lately...

No comments:

Post a Comment