Tuesday 13 December 2016

Colyton News

Cattle Egrets, Portugal, 2015(Copyright T D Wright)
That's right, I didn't get a photograph of the Colyton Cattle Egret as it was too distant but it looked quite like these ones as they were photographed last November so in Winter Plumage. Well done to Steve Waite for putting the effort in up here and locating the bird at Colcombe Farm. I watched it late on yesterday with 'Corkhead' and saw it fly down the Coly at 16:12. Ian McLean saw it in flight this morning (Tuesday) but it must have flown off as between 11:30 and 13:00 all I saw was a flock of 20 Littles which then flew North. On Friday there were 20 Chiffchaff and 10 Goldcrest at Colyton WTW. On Sunday, I took a walk up to Ratshole Gate as people have told me they've seen Goosander up that way recently but no joy although I saw at least 20 Redwing and 7 Fieldfare up there. Also Kingfisher and Grey wagtails but still no Dippers (last Dipper sighting Sept.2014 sadly). On a more positive note, I'm still seeing Little Owl along the Coly and today I spoke to Martin Diplock(Chartered Surveyors) who told me that rumours of the imminent demolition of the old building the Owls use are unfounded. Apparently the Council have said that this must not happen as plans to clear the site for housing have been refused. I believe that river management is also an issue which has stifled development plans. So, for now at least, the owls will still have their 'roof space'. Hurrah!

No comments:

Post a Comment