Thursday 21 September 2017

Grey Phalarope

1st Winter Grey Phalarope, BHM, 20/09/17 (Copyright T D Wright)
👍 Yeah! Having not seen a Grey Phalarope on BHM due to absenteeism back in 2010, I wasted no time responding to Phil Abbot's find last night, even though I had been off volunteering for the RSPB and was on the bus home, thinking "There's not enough daylight left to go birding". I missed my stop and told the driver to drop me off in Colyford which meant I had to leg it down the cycle path to see one eighth of what I might have seen at Abbotsbury recently. Amazing what patch birders will do for a species they could easily see elsewhere, isn't it?! I got completely soaked (again!) and had to walk home in the dark but it was well worth it. Even though all my photographic attempts were defeated by poor conditions I had to inflict at least one image of the cheeky little chap upon you (male or female? Dunno! ) which, like most of our Grey Phals, was a first-winter bird. OK, now for Red-necked...👴

No comments:

Post a Comment