Tuesday 8 September 2015

Twice Bittern

Old Bittern Photo ( Copyright T D Wright )
Blurred Bittern ( Copyright T D Wright )
'Normal' Bittern ( Copyright T D Wright )
With the birding apparently in a bit of a lull - Knot, Whimbrel, 4 Wigeon & Med Gull on the estuary and Ruff , Shoveler and Dunlin on BHM - I decided to check Stafford Marsh and pools for insect activity. A stunning male Southern Hawker and several Emperors plus lots of Darters and various damselfly sp. ( Small Red-eyeds mating plus Blue-tailed and Common Blues plus possible Azure ) was enough to keep me amused with the Sun shining, especially when a Hobby came in to plunder this newly-emerged bounty. However, I was suddenly removed from my reverie when some visitors whom I'd chatted to earlier outrageously claimed to have seen a Bittern. I explained to them that there's only ever been one September Bittern here ( found by me in 2013 - just so you're aware! ) and were they sure? Yes, they said.100%. Oh blast, I thought. Just when I was about to go for my Afternoon tea & tiffin. I texted several locals but they all texted me back with the obvious expectation that I would be the one who trekked all the way to Coly Common hide to check it out. Oh well, I suppose I could make it High Tea and remain parched for a couple of hours I thought. On arrival at said hide all I could see was Hobby again and Common Sandpiper. Typical, I thought. Those people have given me duff gen. I scanned around then suddenly noticed something moving in the reeds fringing the small pool to the right of the hide. It was very obscured but briefly lifted its head to show that it was not the American bittern that everyone was hoping for, but the Seaton Patch's second-ever September Great Bittern (i.e. 'Normal' Bittern ), and Colyford Common LNR's first. The hide now filled up quickly as I told people I was on it, so I finally got to slake my raging thirst with a big pot of Assam ( Earl Grey is rather passe for me now ). In case anybody doesn't know what they look like I've posted some 'Library Pictures' of Standard Bittern with this text ( see above ). Keep 'em coming!

No comments:

Post a Comment