Monday 1 June 2015

Woodlarks on Lesvos

Woodchat Shrike ( Copyright T D Wright )
I already showed you one pic of the shrike above but this is a different shot I swear. Anyway, Woodlarks. The Lesviot ones lack the orangey tones of our British birds ( you could say that about some of the women too arf-arf! ); they appear very cold-toned but one can still often see their supercilia conjoin at the back of their heads. This bird had me confused for a bit because this feature wasn't apparent so I took loads of photographs. I wondered if it was the local race of Skylark or something, then it started singing! Now I realised it had a short tail and must therefore be a 'woody'.    
Woodlark ( Copyright T D Wright )
Quite dumpy-looking for a lark, it also has the contrasting markings on the leading edge of the closed wing which are helpful in this part of the world...                                                                                  
Woodlark ( Copyright T D Wright )
Woodlark ( Copyright T D Wright )
Woodlark ( Copyright T D Wright )
Woodlark ( Copyright T D Wright )

No comments:

Post a Comment